The whole chicken symbolizes family togetherness, and whole chicken soup is often served at Chinese New Year dinners.
Here's a chicken soup recipe for your next family party.
1 whole chicken, weighing between 2 to 3 lbs. It's better to use an old hen.
4 large, thick slices of ginger
Shiitake mushrooms (fresh or rehydrated dried mushrooms), add them to the soup in the last hour.
Goji berries, add 1/4 cup to the soup right before serving.
1. Rinse the whole chicken with several changes of water to remove blood.
2. Add chicken to a stock pot with cold water. Bring to a boil to par-cook. If the chicken does not submerge in water, flip and cook the other side for two more minutes.
3. Rinse the chicken with warm water to remove blood and scum. Fill the pot with hot water.
4. Add scallions and ginger. Cover and bring it to a boil. Then, turn the heat to low and simmer for 3 hours. Flip the chicken over halfway.
5. Add salt to taste. Enjoy! Save the broth for noodles and wontons the next day.
If you like this recipe, please share the link to this page with your friends.
More Chinese New Year Recipes