Stir-Fried Shrimp with Asparagus
1/2 bunch of asparagus, 6 to 8 spears.
10 to 12 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
Vegetable oil (corn, peanut, canola)
White pepper powder
1. Pat dry shrimp. If the shrimp is frozen, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and pat dry.
2. Mix 1 tbsp corn starch, 1 pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp of white pepper powder and 1 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine. Toss shrimp in the mixture. Marinate it for 10 minutes.
3. Rinse asparagus and trim the tough ends. Cut them diagonally into 1/8 - 1/4 inch pieces.
4. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 3o seconds. Shock asparagus. Submerge it in an ice bath. Then drain and pat dry.
5. Heat 3 tbsp vegetable oil in a wok over high heat.
When the oil is hot, stir-fry shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes or until the color changes. Do not overcook shrimp. Remove shrimp from the wok and set it aside.
6. Stir-fry asparagus to the same wok over high heat for 30 seconds. Add shrimp to the wok and stir well.
7. Add a splash of Shaoxing cooking wine and stir. Add salt to taste 1/3 to 1/2 tsp. Sprinkle a little bit of sesame oil (1/2 tsp).
Serve hot and enjoy!